Trees is the brainchild of Brighton based bassist and composer Terry Pack.
With a career spanning more than four decades and including spells with The Enid, Cozy Powell, Graham Bonnet and Steve Hackett to name but a few, Terry has in recent years turned his focus onto jazz and improvised music. His recent musical collaborations read like a ‘who’s who’ of the British jazz scene (Claire Martin, The Cloggz, Ben Castle, Bobby Wellins, Nigel Price, Martin France).The seed for Trees was planted when Mark Bassey (trombonist/composer and educator) encouraged Terry to take his compositions to workshops, ensembles and big bands. An enthusiastic response encouraged him to write and arrange more pieces and the natural evolution of Trees began.
An ‘unfeasibly large ensemble’ performing an eclectic mix of contemporary and groove-based compositions, Trees is now an inclusive and community based group comprising up to 40 musicians at any time and augmented by guest professional musicians keen to take part in one of the most exciting new musical projects in and around Brighton. Imaginative, fresh arrangements of classic tunes fuse seamlessly with innovative compositions by the bandleader and band members alike. The objectives of Trees are:
- to create new music by and for Trees
- to write new arrangements of original material specifically for Trees
- to attain and sustain a high level of excellence
- to be flexible, open and inclusive regarding lineup and personnel
- to facilitate the workshopping of new ideas
- to developing the technical, composition and improvisational skills of the members of the group
- to collaborate with musicians from education institutions and community groups in UK and Continental Europe
Having established a presence on the local music scene, Trees has a busy series of appearances ahead both at festivals and at venues further afield and are currently booking into next Spring. Work on a debut album is planned for later this year.